COVID-19 Update March 22, 2020
How to Set Up Telehealth for Free
Dr. Tom Madejski and Dr. Danial Choi have easy to follow directions on how to set up telemedicine in your office.
Since HIPAA has removed its requirement that all telehealth programs be HIPAA qualified, this do-it-yourself system is free. All you need is your cellphone or tablet.
Information for Insurers and Providers on Coverage for Telehealth Services click here.
Some points From the On-Going Governor’s Announcement:
– Calling on feds to nationalize medical supply acquisition. States unable to manage procurement, and costs, and are competing against other states.
– Governor thinks use of Defense Production Act at the federal level is appropriate for producing PPE and ventilators. Use would resolve competitive price gouging, and interstate competition.
– Urges federal money be disbursed directly to individuals, then governments and both before corporate subsidies. Referred to stock buy-backs with federal bailout money in 2008, and seeks to avoid it.
– Requesting temp hospitals from Army Corps of Engineers:
– Stony Brook
– Javits Center
– Temp hospitals are helpful, but they don’t come with supplies, nor staff – problematic
– Governor given approvals at state level, construction can start tomorrow.
– Asking FEMA to erect 4 federal hospitals at Javits Center – they come with staff and supplies
– Still requesting the federal government waive the 25% share of FEMA disaster money – wont be able to pay it. Governor also asking on behalf of all states.
– State implementing trial (on Tuesday) of Hydroxychloroquine (70k), Zithromax (10k), Chloroquine (750k).
– Requesting serological testing for Coronavirus antibodies ASAP. Possibly get people back to work quicker (especially medical staff).
– Requesting hospitals double their existing capacity. Waiving applicable regulations.
– Hospitals must provide plan to increase beds by at least 50%, this will be a mandate, DOH emergency order.
– Elective, non-critical surgeries cancelled on Wednesday. Should provide 25-30% more beds.
– Repurposing existing health care facilities to provide more beds.